Thursday, December 5, 2019

Not so Happy Mondays

Happy Mondays of a Thursday
As Christmas creeps closer I find myself in town at more and more gigs. Tonight I have managed to attend a Happy Mondays gig in Vicar Street. I know what you're thinking, who the hell are the Happy Mondays. The Happy Mondays are an English band who formed in 1980. I'm not going to lie to you guys, I didn't know they were still alive yet alone touring, yet here I am on behalf of you.
As I sat waiting for the band to hurry up, I found myself pondering britpop yet again. Do they count in Britpop? I suppose they do in a way. One of the first big Manchester bands, they can also be noted as the beginning of Madchester (it's exactly what you think it is, bucket hats, parkas etc) and perhaps we wouldn't have bands like the 1975 without them.
I did not appreciate the heart throbbing house music that raved it's way through the room for an hour and a half before the gig commenced. I couldn't imagine that the 100 middle ages crowd enjoyed it too much either however I sat and hoped that by engaging with the audience reliving their youth I might get to live some of mine. I awaited further encouragement.
When they eventually walked out I was hesitant on how much they resembled my father’s generation aka the ultimate dad band. But when it came to actually performing I was taken back by their ability to actually play music. If you do know who The Happy Mondays are fronted by Shaun Ryder while a man by the name Bez frolicks around the stage drawing attention towards himself. Is this to hide the fact that the front man was not able to act like the traditional front men. In other words, Bez dances on stage to distract the audience. Maybe it's because I am from a different generation but I couldn't get behind the gig.
Things began to get awkward however when Bez was “flirting” with Rowetta Idah the backing vocalist when she clearly had no interest. It left a poor aftertaste on the bands performance. I will be staying away from the Happy Mondays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment