Thursday, February 28, 2019

Rowdy Outsider Interview


Interview with

Rowdy Outsider.

There is a rumour around at the moment that rock and roll is dying out, that there is no bands coming up the ranks that we can trust with the heart and soul, of rock and roll. I can safely say that there is no need to fear, with bands like Rowdy Outsider the future is bright for all you rockers. Rowdy Outsider consist of lead singer and guitarist, Matthew Doyle, backup vocalist and guitar God, Conor Whearty, drum machine, Sean Murtagh and bassist who goes by  the name Elmo. On yet another rainy night in Drogheda I sat in Abbey Lane studio to interview the fresh, Rowdy Outsider.  If you have been following my blog you can already tell where we’re going to start the interview. If you’re new, we always start at the start.

 



Where did it all begin for you guys?

Conor directed me towards Matthew and Sean, the two original founding members of Rowdy Outsider.

“We used to get together and practise in 1st year of secondary school and rehearsed in my parents dance studio. ” Matthew laughed and added it was pure luck that made the band function well. “It was luck of the draw that I was a singer and guitar player and Sean was a drummer and we were in the same class and listening to the same music. Elmo was in then for a very short spell. In fairness he was only ten.” I was both impressed at the ambition of a ten year old for wanting to be in a band but also feared for the safety of a ten year old child in a rock band!

Conor was then last to join the band with other members coming and going before the official line-up was secured. Conor then told me about one of the guys that auditioned for the band.

“There was one guy who came in and told us that he wasn’t a very good bassist before the audition. We all assumed, ah we all say that he’s probably class. But unfortunately he was very honest.” I laughed at the thought of four very young teenagers having to tell another teen he wasn’t any good.







Can you tell me about some of your early gigs?

Matthew refused to tell me about the original name of Rowdy Outsider (no matter how much I persisted) but did tell me about their first gig.

“Our first gig was at the Maritime Festival in 2014” Conor quickly added that it was probably their best gig. This being said they had not yet performed in Odd Mollies, which turned out to be an incredible gig. Rowdy Outsider opened for The Skins on the 15th of February and absolutely blew the crowd away. I was impressed considering I have never seen an opening act cause a mosh pit before. There was nothing else to do other than go insane. Nerves were running high before the show, however they were used as ammunition against the audience leading to a fantastic performance.

Matthew then brought me through some of the bands history. “In April 2014 we came in to this studio and recorded our very first song.” Conor revealed that Matthew still refuses to play the song. “We then got a record deal from our first festival.”

 The band then had a break for a while naturally enough and that lead to my next question. 


What lead to the revival of Rowdy Outsider?

As the band began to try and figure out dates, once again, Matthew Doyle was at the forefront providing me with the exact details.

“November 2017!” he exclaimed. The band erupted into laughter as they mocked his memory. “Sean texted me one of the days and asked if I was up for a jam one of the days, I said no immediately” again a fit of laughter spread through the room to which Sean remarks “Oh yeah I actually remember being really sad when he said no because I had being trying different bands and one band had been going well but when it came to a live performance it was a shit-show.”. Once they had persuaded Elmo the band was ready to perform live again.

Once again the question of the name change came back into conversation. Although there was no way I could find out what the previous name was Matthew did tell me how the new name came into existence.

“When we were recording in college one day there was a lot of cleaners around making a lot of noise when someone quickly said to blame it on a Rowdy Outsider. Which stuck quite well. A lot of credit goes to Gavin for that one.”

What made you decide to start doing gigs again?

It wasn’t until I was at a gig watching Modern Love, slightly drunk, I said to myself, aw  I really want to do that. So the next day I booked a gig in Dundalk.” I had to admire the desire Matthew had to perform, it really shows a sense of professionalism when a band can have an extreme urge to do what they love. I really think that came across when they played in Odd Mollies. Not one of them were out of place both physically and spiritually, the love for good music, is evident. They are also incredibly grateful for the opportunities they have been given and the people they are working with. We were all in agreement that places such as Odd Mollies and people like Fran McDermott and Fran Thornton supporting local artists and supplying places such as Abbey Lane really can not be thanked enough.



Who do you draw inspiration from to create your own music?

Conor noted that it was a difficult question to answer.

“When we started first I was all about AC/DC but then Matthew was Green Day, Sean was Guns n Roses and God knows what Elmo was at the time.” Elmo quickly added that Nirvana was his lead inspiration. Sean added that Green Day would inspire the band as a whole, “To this day Green Day have always been the band that we look up to and would learn a lot from.”

Is there a message that you guys try to get across in your songs?

Conor directed the question towards Matthew who writes the lyrics for the songs.

“In 2015 to 2019 a few songs came from wanting to be in a band again. Songs like  By-Pass and Yesterday are about struggling as musicians and stuff like that. Our other songs so far are just love songs.” I was ready to leave them with that question however one last question popped into my head as soon as Matthew had just mentioned that last statement.

Is it hard to make it as a band onto the scene in Ireland?

Conor believed that things have gotten easier.

I think that it’s easier today than it would have been years ago, being in college now it is easier to be attracted to people who have the same mindset for pushing musicians.” Again Sean added the fact that “Fran and Fran have been so good to local artists bringing together. There is a lot of great music coming from Drogheda at the moment.”

I then asked if there was anything that set them apart from other musicians in the area. Matthew was quick to say that it was the lyrics and meaning behind them. Conor then added “I think it’s our sound as well”. I had to agree with Conor, there is nobody who has written and performed these types of songs before, I had no idea how powerful the sound was going to be.

I was then left with very exciting news that I am happy to be the first to tell the world, Rowdy Outsider have recorded four songs that will be ready to be released by summer 2019. I can assure you that these will be truly amazing songs and definitely worth the listen. The interview drew to a close and Rowdy Outsider then performed a song call Yesterday for me live in studio. It has already become a favourite of mine, I have left a link to the song below please have a listen and follow Rowdy Outsider on Instagram.


I would sincerely like to thank the band for the opportunity to interview them and look forward to the gig on the 21st of March at the Grand Social in Dublin.








No comments:

Post a Comment