Thursday, December 27, 2018

Oasis Tribute Band: 'Live Forever' Interview & Review




Imagine, the scene in Supersonic where Liam and Noel Gallagher are in a small hotel room where Liam is doing a spot on impression of Boyzone before they went on stage. The hype, the uncontrollable electricity and untamed personality of everyone in the band, is living on, through Live Forever. Before I had went to interview this tribute band I was not prepared for how intense the interview would be. This band are the true embodiment of the act they are portraying. From the moment I got a call to say they were ready for the interview right up to when they performed their last song, the attitude was pungent.


At around ten past eight on a wet winter night, I was stood outside the Cresent Concert Hall when I got a call from Live Forever telling me that they were ready for the interview, it went something like this. 


“Hello?” I answered eagerly


“Is this the journalist?”  came via a strong North County Dublin Accent.


“Yes, I’m outside, do you want me t-“ I was cut off before I could fully respond.


“Send the bass player to meet him he’s useless anyway!” there was a lot of laughter and someone desperately trying to defend themselves.


Before I could ask anymore the call  got cut off and I awaited for a bass player to come and meet me, who I might add was the furthest thing from useless, all I’ll say is Oasis would have been lucky to have him with them. I went upstairs accompanied with the bass player and was brought into the backstage, a small room where the band were sitting and as I introduced myself I could immediately tell who was going to be playing each part. As with every interview I decided I would start at the start.

Q: “Where did it all begin for you guys?”

A: In 2010 was when we all started, I was originally in a Rolling Stones tribute band but it just wasn’t working, we knew we wanted to recreate something that would last an entire two hour set and that’s when the idea hit me, Oasis. We already had our band but didn’t have a front man, my roommate at the time knew Gavin who was doing Liam Gallagher impressions in Clondalkin at the time. Then after three months of practice we were ready to perform. Our first gig sold out to 400 people.” Paul was the first to respond, he plays the part of Noel Gallagher meaning he looked after lead and rhythm guitar, this is a big task to fill however I was more than impressed by his ability to recreate the sound that Noel is famous for.





Q: “Due to the large banks of songs to choose from, how do you choose the setlist for a gig?”

A: It can be very difficult to choose because of the amount there is but we always try to mix and match the setlist. What happens is, if we play in a venue a few times we try to change what songs we perform. We also try to include obscure B-sides to let the die hard fans know. I can guarantee that every die hard fan out there does not want to hear Wonderwall, yet it’s probably going to be the best reaction of the night. It can be very hard to please everybody. Oasis only ever performed max, 25 songs a night.” I was impressed to see how much passion and knowledge Gavin had for this band. This was absolutely evident when they performed live. It was clear he is part of the “Parka Monkey” fan base as he wore an Adidas parka and was constantly on edge raring to do the gig. When  Gavin walked out onto the stage there was a loud explosive response from the crowd giving him the response he needed to embody Liam, and it was first class. I have seen Liam live twice and it brought the memories flooding back. They are the closest you will ever get to see Oasis.


This brings me nicely to the next question.

Q: “Have you ever seen Oasis live?”

A: Oh God yeah, I’ve seen them a good few times”. Paul then continued to tell me about experiencing Oasis first hand. “Myself and the bass player went to see them in Lansdowne Road in 2000. It’s funny at the time he didn’t tell me he had claustrophobia.” Gavin then let out a laugh at the thought of this. I could already tell where this was going. “Yeah it was f*cking bad claustrophobia as well. So we were front row and the crowd started to pushing us against the rail, needless to say he didn’t last very long and I was on my own watching the gig.” Gavin was then quick to retort, “ looking back now it’s a pity he didn’t croak to be honest”. Everyone exploded into a fit of laughter, well, apart from the bass player.


The chemistry in this band is terrifyingly close to the real thing. This also helps with there stage performance. Channelling these personas is second nature to Live Forever, this, in turn leads to a real life performance of real relationships that present a surreal experience. It’s incredible to watch. I couldn’t help but then ask what it’s like to be these iconic figures.

Q: What is it like to be these people?

A: Gavin answered first, “I cant put into words to describe this feeling.” Paul then supplied the context, “Gav gets it bad, when I walk off people are chanting Noel at me but people actually mob Gav screaming Liam at him. We’re selling out venues left right and centre, people want to see this band, we are the closest you will get.”


It was at this point when the bass player came back into the room and greeted me with  “Who wants some coke lads?” and then proceeded to place a can of coke-zero onto the table in front of me. Needless to say I’ve never been so stunned and then immediately defused in such a short time. The band then told him where to go.



Q: What was your overall reaction when Oasis split up?


A: “ I seen them when they performed in Slane the year before they split up, it was one of the worst gigs I have ever seen, they just lost it, the thing that made Oasis special was no longer there. I could even tell that there was no effort being put into the production of the show. We take the small things very seriously, from the banners to the clothes we wear. We believe that these are the things that make us stand out from other tribute bands. Especially when it comes to sharing things on social media, you can see other tribute acts and all they’ve done is screenshot things on their phone and not bothered to edit any of it and they’ve got four texts from their ma looking to see where the f*ck they’ve gone.” Gavin was clearly adamant to prove that by focusing on the smaller things it develops the credibility of the band.

Q: What is your opinion on the solo albums that followed the Oasis phenomenon?


A: “I loved Noels first solo album, and it’s mad to think that at the time Noel was up at the top of his career while Liam was flopping in Beady Eye. In my opinion it has all completely changed now, Liam now has an amazing solo album and is incredibly popular. That As You Were slogo is genius. He’s looking after himself and not drinking, looking after his voice and is now doing class gigs like.” When Noel released his third solo album last year there a large divide in Oasis fans as to whether or not it was terrific or terrible. So I then asked for their opinion on “Who Built The Moon?”. Paul answered quickly “Shite”. I was surprised about the undeniable hatred he had for it. “When he came out in an interview and said he doesn’t mind losing a few Parka Fans for this album it turned me against him immediately. He turned away from his own working class fans against him. I find that connection strange because I am Noel in the band as well.”

 Now readers strap yourselves in because its about to get freaky. Paul then went on to describe his weird connection with Noel. “It’s funny though, Noel was born on the 29th of May and I share the same birthday with him!” I then interjected and told Paul that I was the exact same, Paul couldn’t believe it, but it only got weirder. “ That’s insane and I’m also left handed but play guitar right handed just like Noel.” I couldn’t believe what he had just said because I, am the exact same. It was at this point where the band began to lose their minds completely, I was hysterically laughing, Paul was questioning life and close to checking his family tree and Gavin was insisting to “Whip our mickeys out to measure them”.




This was the most intense interview I have been apart of. Needless to say that these are the real deal who clearly care about what they are doing. They are currently doing a Farewell tour but I highly recommend that if you are either a slight fan of Oasis or the biggest fan in the country, see this band. There aren’t many bands that take the gig seriously by being outrageously wild. They are living like Oasis. 

Make sure you follow them on Instagram Live Forever Tribute Band and follow The Art of Rockin on Instagram for more irregular content!

No comments:

Post a Comment